This year, the Week of the Italian Cuisine in the World – in its fourth edition – will take place from November, 18 to 24. The event aims at promoting Italy’s agri-food industry and the tradition of high-quality food and wine which is a key aspect of the Italian identity and culture.
Over a thousand events will be held all around the world, coordinated by the Italian diplomatic network, Italian Chambers of Commerce and Italian Institutes of Culture.
During this week, the Italian Chamber of Commerce in Canada –West, in collaboration with Consulate General of Italy in Vancouver, APCI – Association of Professional Italian Chef Italy and its Canadian delegation, VCC-Vancouver Community College, and Il Centro – Italian Cultural Centre is welcoming in Vancouver a delegation of chefs and food companies from Italy and organizing a series of events and activities dedicated to the promotion of the rich Italian culinary traditions.
The program of the delegation includes:
- a masterclass event dedicated to Canadian food importers, culinary students and to the hospitality industry (November 19th) by Chef Luca Malacrida (Captain Chef of the National APCI Team), Chef Giorgio Perin (Coach Chef of the National APCI Team), in collaboration by Chef Pino Posteraro (Cioppino’s Restaurant) hosted at VCC- Vancouver Community College – Culinary Department
- a day of individual b2b meetings (November 18th) for the visiting Italian food companies: Olitalia, Molisana, Mulino Caputo, Cantina Cornarea, Cantina Tappero, Cantina Pertinace, Cantine Le Ginestre, Cantina Ceschi.
- On November 20th, the Italian Top Chef Showcase, will represent the real treat of the Week of the Italian Cuisine in the World: a superior culinary experience that will include an exclusive Italian 5-course dinner with premium Italian wines and various delicacies, directly inspired by Chef Luca Malacrida (Captain Chef of the National APCI Team), Chef Giorgio Perin (Coach Chef of the National APCI Team) and by the Vancouverite representatives of the Canadian APCI’s branch. The dinner will be accompanied by a cooking show by the two Italian chefs. The Italian top Chef Showcase is open to the public and the tickets are available here: https://bit.ly/35So8vK
The EXTRAORDINARY ITALIAN TASTE program
The events organized by the Italian Chamber of Commerce in Canada West (ICCC) during the Week of Italian cuisine in the world are part of the Extraordinary Italian Taste program. The program is promoted and financed by the Ministry of Economic Development and developed in collaboration with the Italian Chamber of Commerce in Canada West (ICCC). The project is part of a national campaign whose main goal is to promote awareness in North America about the authentic and certified agri-food Italian products, as in the continent supermarkets’ shelves extensively host many products evoking Italy, neither having any connection to Italy, nor involving an Italian manufacture. To learn more about Italy’s project for the promotion of authentic Italian DOP and IGP products in North America, visit the official website of the project www.trueitaliantaste.com.
To learn more about the Week of the Italian Cuisine in the world, visit https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/politica_estera/promozione-integrata-del-sistema/settimana-della-cucina-italiana
The importance of education and local partnerships
The Italian Chamber of Commerce of Canada – West (ICCCW) has developed a number of activities in the past years (2016-2019) within the program Extraordinary Italian Taste, including:
– a media dinner series at local Italian restaurants with the label “Ospitalita` Italiana”
– sponsorships of incoming tours to Italy and Italian tradeshows for food and wine importers and distributors
– sponsorship of 3 educational tours for selected local media representatives: the “If food could talk” educational series (http://www.trueitaliantaste.com/en/node/316#tour_passati), Our “True Italian Taste ambassadors” that participated in the tour were: Michele Marko (Vancouver Sun), Mijune Pak (Follow Me Foodie) and Leeta Liepins (Our City Tonight) have been the ambassadors
– a series of masterclasses on DOP and IGP food products for local chefs and importers
– the “pizza weeks” (November 2017), featuring DOP and IGP products and special menus in local pizzerias and restaurants
– Top Chef Showcase (June 2017) Italian culinary showcase celebrating the Italian Heritage Month with some of Vancouver’s top chefs featuring Chefs Pino Posteraro and Angus An, hosted by Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel resident Chef Nathan Brown who prepared dishes using a set of selected authentic Italian products especially flown in from Italy for the event
– Italian Masterclass series at VCC Vancouver Community College (2016-2018) in collaboration with APCI Canada
–Extraordinary Emilia Romagna (November 2018) a celebration of region Emilia Romagna: the true paradise of foodies where Parmigiano Reggiano, Prosciutto di Parma, Lasagna (and many others!) were born.
– Authentic Italian Table (May 2018, June 2019) a Trade Tasting followed by a Cocktail Reception with an open-bar featuring premium Italian wine and aperitivi and a buffet selection to experience authentic Italian food products
– Authentic Italian Table on the Drive (June 2018, June 2019) a special section within the Italian Day Festival: Italian food samplings, wine and liquors, and gastronomic delights created in collaboration with local chefs.
Week of the Italian Cuisine in the World events in Vancouver:
The Italian Chamber of Commerce of Canada – West (ICCCW) has partnered up with the Consulate General of Italy in Vancouver, APCI – Association of Professional Italian Chefs, VCC-Vancouver Community College, and Il Centro – Italian Cultural Centre to promote the Week of the Italian Cuisine in the World in great style:
- Individual B2B meetings with Italian Food companies (Olitalia, La Molisana, Mulino Caputo)
Monday, Nov. 18, 2019 – Various locations
By appointment only, to schedule b2b please contact email@example.com
- Masterclass by APCI Chefs Luca Malacrida, Giorgio Perin, Pino Posteraro
JJ’s Restaurant @VCC – Vancouver Community College
250 W Pender St, Vancouver, BC V6B 1T1
Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2019
From 10:00pm to 12:00pm
Light Lunch to follow
Event dedicated exclusively to media and trade professionals in the food, wine, ho.re.ca and hospitality industry
- Top chef Showcase! Gala Dinner and Cooking Show
Italian Cultural Center Vancouver
3075 Slocan St, Vancouver, BC V5M 3E4
Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2019
From 7:00pm to 10:00pm
ITALIAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE OF CANADA – WEST
The ICCCW is an independent, non-profit organization whose aim is to enhance and promote The Italian Chamber of Commerce in Canada–West (ICCCW) has operated since 1992 as a private, non-profit, membership organization with the mandate of promoting and enhancing business, trade and investment exchanges between Italy and Western Canada. ICCCW is an integral part of a prestigious worldwide network of Italian Chambers of Commerce and is one of the most active and respected bilateral trade organizations in Western Canada. Formally recognized by the Italian Government, ICCCW forms part of a network of 100+ offices in Italy and 70+ foreign Italian Chambers of Commerce throughout the world. With offices in Vancouver, Calgary and Italy, ICCCW acts as a catalyst between businesses and institutions in Italy and Western Canada by coordinating and hosting trade and economic missions, organizing the participation of delegations at international trade shows, and providing customized business solutions for Italian and Canadian companies wishing to enter international markets.
For more information on the Italian Chamber of Commerce in Canada West visit www.iccbc.com